Monday, April 5, 2010

i'm late, i'm late

Punctuality is a tricky thing.

OK, no, it isn't, really, but it sure seems like it at times. Theoretically, people would meet up at the appointed time and go on their merry way. Of course, things come up, and sometimes people run late. I get it, that's fine, it happens to everyone.

But what about the person who shows up on time?

(("They were supposed to show up 3 hours ago..."))
img from: babble.com

In my experience, the person who shows up on time (or, God forbid, early) usually shows up by themselves, which means they wait by themselves too. I've been in this position many a time, and what do I do with myself? I usually find myself doing "The Check," where I check my watch constantly for the benefit of other people. I know damn well what time it is - otherwise I would've been late - but this is to show that no, I am not a creeper who likes to hang out in front of cafes and movie theaters, I'm just waiting for people.

Besides "The Check," there is also "The Scan," wherein I look left to right, high and low, as if the people I'm waiting for might've been hiding under the table outside. Sometimes I think I should just hold up a sign - it'd take some of the stress off of my neck.

(("Welcome! ...You late assholes.))
img from: gettyimages.com

There are other ways to kill time, I'm sure, including the obvious option of just...sitting there, but the fact is that whoever shows up first kind of gets the shaft. I'd say just show up later, but then that just leaves someone else to get there first.

But at least this way you won't have to wait, right?

No comments: